Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Great Escape! (or lack thereof)


Top Secret business had occurred (or so we thought).  My pal from The Other Side, Macy, and I had hitched a plan to discover just what’s over the opposite side of that mysterious brown barricade separating us…from the unknown!!

The enticing unknown...
It was late afternoon when we began our secret meeting. When darkness came our "dig date" began.

"OK- so meet back here after dinner"

Here’s how the Frisky Business unfolded:

We each dug down from our respective sides until a hole was created big enough for myself (as the smaller accomplice) to pass through.

"Ready-Set-DIG!"
                       
"Yeah...looks like I'll be able to fit better than you, Macy"
Good start. 
As soon as we had made some progress on the hole- mom called for me…after my initial startle- I knew I had to respond to her so as not to arouse suspicion of our covert coalition.

First error made. Somehow she knew something was suspicious…STILL don’t know how??

Why are you looking at me like that? Nothing to see here...

The next day we put Harold in as our watchman…

At this point, Harold seemed to understand his instruction.

Although looking back I think he was just the nap taker. Second error made.


Oh Harold...
As soon as I crossed to Macy’s side- first item of business was to FINALLY greet each other with a long awaited posterior sniff and a playful tussle!

...We didn’t really have much of a plan after that. Third error made.

You see- the mysterious brown barricade was much sturdier than the futile fence we had first compromised.  A mere “dig” was going to take much longer than previously anticipated. Especially since we didn’t have an additional accomplice working from the opposite side. 

Our bright plan slowly dimmed...
To add insult to injury, Macy... is a bit of a spit fire- let's just say-she barks…or rather HOWLS when she gets the least bit bugged…as well as jumps.  This lead to more than enough unwanted attention, thus, our fourth and final, fateful error.



Macy’s dad quickly ran out and upon seeing my mischievous mishap, lovingly placed me back where I came from.

Embarrassment ensued when Macy's dad proceeded to ring our doorbell and broke the news to my mom thereby immediately coming out and retrieving me. 


As she began cleaning my face and paws down with that awful wipe I hate- I realized how many cuddles and kisses she was simultaneously allowing me...

Although stern, how could she not be mad?  I had clearly disobeyed her.  Deep down I knew full well that I was being led astray.  It was as if she was just relieved I was back in her safe arms.  And I gotta admit- it felt nice. 

Sometimes we’re so eager to see what’s separating us from our future that we go to great lengths to ensure an answer. 

But maybe what seems like a “barricade” in our lives is there for a reason.  Perhaps even for safety.  Today, I learned about Trust and Hope. Trust- that mom knows what’s best.  And Hope- that someday… I will know the answer to what’s waiting for me on the other side.

As I laid there, safe in mom's lap and exhausted from my misadventure- a sense of relief fell over me as I let go...



Licks and Wags, 
Penny Lane


2 comments:

  1. Penny is certainly an adventurer! I think she deserves a play date with Macy and Harold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're barking up the wrong tree!! Tell my mom that!

    ReplyDelete